Wednesday 26 May 2010

Flageolet Beans.

.

My current bean of choice is 'France's favourite bean'- the Flageolet.

Being relatively small, single and often eating alone (I couldn't have made that sound more tragic) I often find myself with left overs. Alongside people neglecting breakfast and bad grammar, this is one of my pet hates.

Waste not want not.

The way I often combat this is by cooking huge portions, esecially wtih casseroles and curries, and then freezing the leftovers for a later date. Another preferable technique is to take my leftovers and recycle them into something new that I haven't tried before. Some of my favourite recipes have been discovered this way!

Here is my week in Falgeolet beans (I'm amazed how far one tin can stretch...)


Monday: Flageolet and makerel salad with spinach leaves, spring onion, lemon pepper and grated courgette.

Tuesday: Flageolet Bean Bake, adapted from a bbcgoodfood.com recipe, flageolet beans baked in a creamy sauce of yoghurt, ground coriander, onion, garlic and the remains of the spinach with a crispy topping made from bread crumbs (I use up the negleted end pieces) grated cheese and grated brussel sprouts. I find ground coriander and plenty of garlic is the key to this recipe.

Wednesday: Flageolet and courgette pasta. I don't eat a lot of pasta, but I love the aesthetic of the coloured fuseli... Sooo, fuseli, mixed with a little leftover yoghurt, lemon juice, pepper, thick slices of courgette and roughly chopped sprouts and onion with fresh torn herbs.

I would love to try a cream flageolet bean and garlic soup, but I'm all out for now! Maybe I will be making that sometime soon...

Three key ingredients, three days, three recipes. Bam.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment