Friday 3 September 2010

Porridge of the Week #15

Porridge of the Week #15

Sticky Toffee (Date and banana)



Category: Flavour


Start by making the sticky toffee mix. Chop up some dates and tip into a pan, with a tablespoon of sugar and enough water to cover. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer, then stir till the dates break down and it reduces down into a sticky sauce.
Tip into a bowl. Pour the oats into the pan and loosen with milk and a bit of vanilla yoghurt. Warm through and tip in the sticky toffee and a banana, mashed. Stir in, with some cinnamon. Add a few extra pieces of chopped dates, stir again, then tip into a bowl.
Top with some vanilla yoghurt (it's so good!) and a few slices of banana set aside from before. Sprinkle with cinnamon.


This is a yummy porridge, "my best yet" according to my own personal porridge tester . Now that's quite a compliment. Don't be put off by the name if you are into your healthy breakfasts. It's my first porridge to contain added sugar, but it's not enough to worry about. And to be honest... It's worth it once in a while.


x

4 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I don't think I could handle it at breakfast time, but i'd love a sample for pudding please! N x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that looks like a fried egg on top of the porridge! Now there is an idea.

    How about a breakfast savoury porridge with bacon and onions chopped up in it and a fried egg on top?

    You may even be able to tempt granma to eat it if you add plenty of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been considering doing a savoury porridge recipe for a long time!
    I did promise Andrew's brother I would do an English Breakfast one... I think it could be awesome. Watch this space! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. N- It doesn't have to be too intense... If you put in extra vanilla yoghurt and less of the date syrup then its a lot fresher and more early morning friendly.
    I know what you mean... It took a lot of training to get my stomach as hardy as it is!

    ReplyDelete