Wednesday 27 July 2011

Dinner 27.06.11

.
Griddled Courgette and Aubergine
With butterbeans, red onion and tomato

.


Opening my fridge tonight, I was faced with a slightly sad looking aubergine, and, as usual, an abundance of tomatoes and courgette. Deciding they needed using, I spent a while flicking through the nearest cookbooks I had to hand before giving up and doing what I always do: winging it.

The result got the job done. A healthy pile of butter beans, tomato and griddled veg, the smoked paprika and garlic I through in gave it a smokey, rich flavour.
This took no time at all. Fry two small red onions with some crushed garlic and a little freshly chopped chilli. Once they are soft, tip in four or five chopped tomatoes and simmer, seasoning with salt, pepper, and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Finally, tip a tin of butter beans into the pan and mix in.
Whilst this is reducing slightly, slice your aubergine and courgette and griddle till cooked through and nicely scored.
Spoon the tomato and bean base onto a plate and top with the grilled vegetables.

This is a nice summery recipe, not only rich in vitamins but won't leave you feeling heavy or sluggish. Perfect with a glass of white wine and a sun lounge!

xxx

1 comment:

  1. It was last night when I saw Rick Stein cooking juicy, fat Spanish butter beans and I thought - I fancy some, they remind me fresh butter beans from Poland that are actually in season now. And what I see today? Your lovely dish using typical Spanish ingredient - smoked paprika! Lovely. This is kind of food I love, especially in the summer with glass od refreshing wine. xxx

    ReplyDelete